To take your insulin injection with a pen:
- Wash your hands with soap and water before injecting.
- Put a new needle onto your pen and dial up your dose.
- Raise a fold of fatty flesh slightly between your thumb and fingers.
- Put the needle in- if you are particularly slim, you may need to put the needle in at a 45 degree angle to avoid injecting into the muscle.
- Push the plunger, to inject the dose. Count at least 10 seconds.
- Remove the needle from the pen.
Injecting insulin with a vial and syringe
- Wash your hands and keep insulin, syringe, cotton, alcohol ready.
- Rol the vial of insulin especially if it is milky one for 10-15 times between your hands and clean the top of vial with alcohol.
- Draw in air according to the number of insulin units. Push this air in insulin vial and draw insulin into the syringe.
- Make sure there is no air in the syringe before injecting.
- Keep the needle under your skin for at least 6 seconds to make sure that the full dose has been delivered.